Monday 3 November 2014

An Ode to the Starbucks Barista

For a little over 5 years, I was a barista (and even supervisor) at Starbucks on and off. Let me tell you, I have a love/hate relationship with that company and those customers. I'm sure most people employed there will say the same thing. To this day, I still occasionally have PTSD-esque flashbacks and nightmares (literally) about working there. (In fact, I woke up at 2 am after having a dream about Starbucks and decided to write this post.) Yet, on other days, I find myself yearning for the barista life. 

But this post isn't meant to be about me. This is an ode to the barista's out there who show up to work every day, knowing there there is a 50/50 chance that you will be shouted at by angry customers, have hot liquid thrown at you, punches and curse words tossed your way, and probably even call the cops a few times during your shift. 

Am I exaggerating? I wish I was. 

I've worked at 5 different locations in 2 different states, and they all attract their handful of crazies. The aforementioned occurrences have happened many a times to both me, and my fellow baristas. 
So, next time you wonder, "Why is my barista so bitchy? Why is she/he making me pay an extra $0.60 for soy milk? ("It should be free!" the masses complain)" Just consider what they may have been through already, that day. 

Yes, we are there to make your experience pleasant and enjoyable, and believe me when I say that the majority of baristas that I have worked with are incredibly positive, happy people and almost always start their shift with a smile. However, we are human, and when a 240 pound homeless man calls you a "cunt" and comes at you throwing punches, or an angry mom throws her x-hot mocha at you because "there wasn't enough whipped cream" (apparently "it melted in the 200 degree milk" doesn't occur to her) it puts a bit of a damper on even the most positive baristas mood.

Why are we charging you for all your extras? Not to be bitchy (well, some, yes…) but because 1.) that's how a business fucking works and 2.) if we don't make that set dollar amount per day, we get our shift count lowered, which means you'll be waiting for your vent extra extra caramel, nonfat, no whip, caramel frappuccino a bit longer than you'd like to, and the baristas are going to be running around looking a little crazier than necessary.

So please, have some respect. Pay what you're asking for. The barista's don't make the prices, they just work there. If the barista is having a bad day, "kill them with kindness" and they will most likely warm up to you. Being rude in return will just make everyone sour (this applies to everything in life, not just for Starbucks courtesy). 

As with everything, there are exceptions and there is usually at least one constant grump of the group. In most cases, they're probably pretty extraordinary in some area (drink making, cleaning, covering shifts, ringing quickly/efficiently, etc) or else they wouldn't be there. 

To the customers who tip when they can, are never mean spirited, who wait patiently in line. You are our drive to get through those crazy shifts. Shoutout to you guys for being awesome humans. Maybe we'll be awesome in return and take off that extra $0.60 for soy milk if you're extra cool. 

To my barista brethren, it doesn't get better, however, there are customers that make it worth it (oh, and the paycheck that we need to live, apparently). 
Stay strong, artists' of the coffee world. 

-A.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment